Saturday, September 15, 2007

Timeline

I really like timelines! I’m a kind of person who loves to see things structured, so seeing a timeline gives me the basis of a story. Being able to follow the happenings in a chronological order helps me to understand the action-reaction aspects of a story, which also helps me to realize the underlying patterns.

In high school, I always thought History was a good subject, but a bit boring and confusing. However, as I was preparing for my finals in my senior year, I just fell in love with History. I loved that I could see the history of humanity from the very beginning till today, and I could put all the bits and pieces I got from hundreds of History classes into a big frame: a timeline! It was just such an amazing feeling.

So, going back to the timelines used in Journalism: I love them! Last semester, when I was making the Web-i-fy assignment for Intro to J, I just loved the process of figuring out an effective and easily understandable timeline.

The author of the blog, Mindy McAdams, uses the example “Atentados de Al Qaeda.” I like this timeline, however, I have a question: Why is it that when I click on “Nueva York” the first thing coming up is the 1993 attack, and no matter how many times I click on NYC the 2001 attacks don’t come up? Yeah, I realized that 9/11 pops up when I click on “Washington” or “Pensilvania” but why not for NYC?!

Anyways, I guess we all know that 9/11 happened mostly in the City…

And, the Spanish equivalents for city names are kind of funny!

No comments: