Sunday, November 11, 2007

Chapter 19: Writing News for Radio and Television

When it comes to tv and radio, timeliness is the most important. So many times, I'm just amazed that I turn on the TV and see what's happening right now on the other side of the world. Just the fact of getting to know that something's going on is so cool.

Tv and radio are more about WHAT is happening, while newspaper is to analyze why something has happened. So basically, the nutgraf (the theme paragraph) is what could be read out at a newscast and the rest of an article is in-depth analysis.

Another idea that sort of hit me while reading the book was the importance of visually appealing materials. No matter how important a topic is, if the pictures are not fascinating enough, the viewers will change channel. I guess that's exactly why millions of dollars are spent each year on spectacular sets and micro cameras showing the inside of a brain and such fancy things.

Both tv and radio tends to concentrate more on human stories rather than big concepts, which is really awesome, I think. So many times, I'm tempted to involve anecdotes in news articles, but I never know where to put them, so I just decide to save them for feature articles later on.

The language used for TV and radio differs in many aspects from the one used in newspapers: it is in present tense, the style is conversational and easily understandable. I think using conversational style is pretty cool because the audience perceives the anchor friendly and gradually trustworthy. A faceless newspaper journalist has very few opportunity to have such a relationship with the readers.

Repetition of words is not only acceptable but essential in tv and radio news. YAYY!!

But unfortunately the technical details of writing broadcast news is not that fun. I'm thinking of the formatting and symbols. I guess learning all the formatting things must be pretty much like AP Style for print j's.

No comments: