Monday, November 26, 2007

Presidential candidates on diet… they only wish!

Presidential candidates have a hard time keeping their shapes during the campaign. As they tour around, they HAVE to eat the traditional meals of all locations, which means that they can’t stick to their diets. Poor Hillary even prays to God to help her lose weight, wrote an article in the NYT.

Having a look at a video showing what things that candidates have to eat made me understand their problem!! Greasy meat, hot dog, soda, etc. I guess I would get sick after a couple days of “campaigning.”

So, why is it so important to keep fit but also eat traditional food??

“If you’re really overweight, some people just look at you and immediately sort of write you off,” Mr. Huckabee said for the NYT. “They just assume you’re undisciplined.”

But at the same time, if a candidate chooses not to eat the local specialties, it means he or she is not worthy for the vote of the local people.

Well, this problem is pretty typical to the 21st century USA. It’s not that in Europe we wouldn’t care about how our candidates look, but when it comes to voting, what they eat and how they look don’t really count. At home, I guess because of the history, there are fewer people who are in the middle. People usually know what they believe in and who they’re voting for. And even if they’re undecided, what convince them are usually promises and arguments, not the candidate’s eating habits.

Of course, I’m not saying that Americans decide just based on appearance and whether the candidate stuffs him- or herself with local food. But if the issue makes it to the NYT’s front page, it should be important, right?

Anyways, I’m glad I’m not running for president. I hate when people make me eat out of courtesy!!

No comments: