Monday, November 5, 2007

Extra! Extra!

The basic topics of the stories are health, corruption in the government and crime.

As I was scrolling through the little snippets from the stories, I found that the ones starting like “In a town south from X city in Y state,” it just became hard to concentrate on what I’m reading. I though a little and figured that global stories with the potential of affecting ME are a lot more interesting than the ones happening far far away. However, I think readers are still interested in stories like the one with the workers in China, because knowing that such terrible things happen to others but not to them is pleasing. But that’s just my theory. They might also want to help those people. So, the point is there is a huge difference between local and global findings.

The three stories stood out for me on the main page: the football players, the dangerous toys and the Chinese workers. Maybe it's because they're more global and I have more general knowledge on the stories. (By the way, a person with a BMI over 30 is considered obese, so those big football player guys are far from healthy.)

In the archive section, there is a really big variety of stories. Most of the topics are common, we hear about them every day, like wild fires or terrorism. And there were a couple ones that seemed just random to me, like “Club safety resources,” which is about fire safety in nightclubs. (Then it turns out that the main topic is fire hazard and safety in general.)

No comments: