Monday, December 3, 2007

Hostage drama at Hillary's place

Last Friday, a man went into one of Hillary Clinton's New Hampshire campaign office and said he had a bomb on him. The story ended well, because no one was hurt and the "bomb" turned out to be road flares and duct tape.

However, the story doesn't end here. Leeland Eisenberg, the suspect of the case, is supposedly a heavy drinker and her wife had just filed for divorce last Tuesday. Also, Eisenberg, who admitted he needed mental health, told reporters why he took hostages: he wanted attention. He wanted to let people know about his lawsuit against a priest who allegedly raped him.

This story is just startling. I can't believe such things happen. And Eisenberg used Hillary Clinton's office thinking that taking hostages there would draw people's attention. And he was right. If he had done it in a mall, local newspapers might have wrote about it, but I doubt that the NYT and CNN would have it among their top headlines.

I wonder if the case will affect Hillary Clinton. Is she just a victim herself? I guess she is. But can we say that she's innocent in a case where someone used her fame to draw public attention by almost hurting people? Okay, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Clinton had anything to do with this guy. But now we know that publicity has its tolls, and "evil" people can take advantage of it.

On the other hand, I'm not sure whether Eisenberg is the ultimate bad guy. I'd say he was the victim of his circumstances. So, whose fault is this? How about the media that's always ready to report on terror attacks and hostage dramas?

I don't really know what to think about this case. I wonder what's going to happen to the guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't smoke and I also am fascinated with the smoke rings that old actors blew in black and white films. So this hub was interesting to read, not that I intend to put it into practice.
http://esmokes.com/